Anxiety disorders are a very common mental health condition. Typical characteristics include excessive, uncontrollable fearfulness, avoidance behaviours, and heightened physical symptoms which may include increased heart rate, sweating, shaking and panic attacks.
Though everyone experiences mild periods of anxiety, people with an anxiety disorder find their lives significantly disrupted. People with anxiety disorders often have trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, or early-morning awakening. They also experience heightened physical responses, including hypervigilance and hypersensitivity to anxiety triggers.
Anxiety disorders include:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
- Panic Disorder
- Social Anxiety Disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Anxiety disorders are highly treatable. Clients can learn how to better manage symptoms and improve their quality of life. Our anxiety therapy programs include cognitive behavioural therapy, regular exercise, diet education, mindfulness training, and medication education.
People with anxiety disorders also benefit from imaginal and in vivo exposure therapy, which provides an opportunity to become less sensitive to situations or triggers that cause anxiety. Boreal Wellness Centres offers this therapy in an environment that is safe and supportive.
Boreal Wellness Centres offers individual therapy for anxiety as well as multi-disciplinary group therapy programs.
Our Resilient Living™ group programs are for people with moderate or moderate-severe anxiety. Our group programs use cognitive behavioural (CBT) focused, multi-disiplinary curriculum.
Group program topics include:
- understanding how to change negative patterns of thinking
- how to avoid mind traps
- understanding and managing emotions
- importance of behavioural activation
- managing relationships
- medication education and management (optional, depending on client need)
- managing and overcoming return to work barriers (if appropriate)
Other key features of the Resilient Living™ programs are:
- maximum group size is 10 participants
- same 6-9 group members for the duration of the program
- clients receive 6 months of aftercare (one-hour group sessions) led by a registered clinical counsellor
- clients can add on individual, therapy or substance use therapy to any group program.
Our Resilient LivingTM Virtual Treatment Program uses secure video conference technology, which makes it accessible to people living anywhere in British Columbia.
This program consists of 20 sessions, each 3 hours in length, over 10 weeks. The sessions are a combination of group psychotherapy and a rotation of mindfulness, nutrition, fitness and medication education.
A limited number of sliding scale seats are available in each cohort.